twobytwo

The crazy blog of a mom of toddler twins and pregnant with a second set of twins. I write it as it is in my life...as I see it or interpret it.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

14 week appointment

We went to both of our doctors for our 14 week appointments yesterday. It really did turn out to be a long day, but we were able to see our babies at both appointments, so that was just amazing. We went to see our perinatologist first and ended up seeing his collegue for our consultation. We were able to get a really good look at the babies and their personalities; however, we were not able to get a good look at their genders! :) Perhaps next time...
The babies looked good and healthy, were measuring rigth on track and the technician seemed pleased with everything in that sense. My cervix was short, again, like it was with the girls. We met with my perinatologist's collegue who talked with us about the cerclage, and then went on to list all of the reasons why we shouldn't have it done (a stitch to keep the cervix from shortening and dilating prematurely). He said that he would suggest me not having it done. I felt positive about what he had to say, but the more I thought about it, the more concerned I became with these babies being born early, spending months in the NICU and me saying, "What if I would have done the cerclage."
By the time we went to my second appointment at my OB's office, I was confused. We were scheuduled to see my OB's collegue (we knew about this one...she is on maternity leave right now) and we discussed with him the report we had received in the morning. He agreed that the cerclage is over-performed, but also agreed that with my history, I am the perfect candidate for a cerclage. Ah, the joys of the medical field...just shows that there isn't just one belief in the field...
I feel if both of my appointments yesterday were with my doctors and not their collegues, I would feel more positive about everything. I am going to call my peri on Monday (since my OB is on maternity leave until February 19th) and discuss this with him. I was determined to have the stitch put in next week until we went to our appointments yesterday.
Sorry if that was TMI for anyone, but that is what is going on in my life now. I guess I have to weigh the pros and cons myself and this is what I think...I am going to wind up on bedrest or have restrictions this pregnancy because I did last pregnancy (and Adam and I both agreed that I am to start restricting myself now). I know that the cerclage worked, or at least in my mind have convinced myself that it is why I carried the girls to 34.5 weeks...my cervix didn't budge the whole time I was pregnant after the stitch. And, bigger than that, I know that I will beat myself up if these babies wind up in the NICU and I didn't get the stitch (considering that I already beat myself up for the fact that Hadley and Gretchen were in the NICU for 6 days, which isn't long at all but seemed like an eternity at the time...so much respect for those couples that spent weeks and months there).
So, that is the update for now. We have an appointment with my OB on February 19th and our level 2 ultrasound on February 22nd with my peri. We should be able to find out genders at that appointment. I will post pictures later today from our ultrasounds. They are pretty amazing (well, at least of Baby B, who stole the show).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home