twobytwo

The crazy blog of a mom of toddler twins and pregnant with a second set of twins. I write it as it is in my life...as I see it or interpret it.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

28 weeks (well, almost)...

I am less than 3 hours away from 28 weeks, but I am posting now (deal). :)
So, I have had an interesting week, to say the least. Lots of contractions on Sunday, Monday and this morning...decided to call my OB office and check in with them. I received a call back from 'The Nurse.' Yep. That is how she identified herself...and let me tell you, I know why she doesn't give her name. She was mean...and I believe I dealt with her last summer when we were miscarrying and she was just as nasty. She said that she wanted me to go to L&D. Not, "contractions at this stage of the game are normal with twins...slow down a bit and take it easy." Nope. Just sent me off to L&D. Of course, this upset me. Quite a bit, actually. In the midst of phone calls and emails, I lost it. The roller coaster ride of pregnancy is tough, especially when you are a Type A personality like I am and you are dealing with a difficult to pin down normalcy...twins are just different during pregnancy. I cannot explain it, but every medical professional I have discussed this with agrees that there isn't anything textbook about a twin pregnancy.
So, Adam came home, all concerned and off we went to L&D. Of course, I knew that everything was fine. But, 'The Nurse' had already called L&D and told them that I was on my way and I didn't want them to black list me because I didn't show up this time...and when I do show up in true labor, they tell me that I neglected my babies all those weeks ago so they won't see me (I know that this wouldn't happen, but in the emotional minute I was having, this is where a hormonally charged mind will get you, and quickly).
Luckily, the nurse at the hospital was amazing! Absolutely amazing! And, we discussed 'The Nurse' since she sees the same OB as I do. And, she told me everything that I wanted to hear when I called my OB's office...that since this is my 2nd twin pregnancy, contractions are normal at this stage of the game, and since I am measuring term, it is normal to have contractions and I did the right thing by coming in...blah, blah, blah. I felt like they would come in at any minute and give me the run down of their '3 strikes and you are out' policy...one more trip to L&D and I will no longer be allowed to return. But, I have insurance and pay my bills, and I think even if you don't pay your bills, it is still illegal for them to turn you away...
So, that was my day today. Interesting, to say the least. I get to go in and see my OB on Thursday (already had a scheduled appointment with her for Thursday) and I am sure we will have a good laugh about this. Well, perhaps I will still be upset about it, in which case, she will have a good laugh about it.
But, I have learned 3 things today:
1. 'The Nurse' really is not a nice person and should find a different field to be a nurse in...like a place that deals with deaf people so they cannot tell that she is mean by talking to her.
2. My body still confuses the world out of me, but I have to accept that fact.
3. I am tired...and there is still a lot of road in front of me before these babies arrive, so I better get over it!
More later...probably on Thursday or Friday after my laugh-a-thon with my OB! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Homegrown Tribe said...

Oh yes! That's why I just don't call... after I learned a little more about what my body was doing. I had preterm labor with #3 and then they started at 20 weeks with #4. I'm hoping I don't have too many problems this time... but i'm prepared to 'take it easy'

You ARE getting so close... but still so far away. OY! :) When did you deliver with your girls?

Brittany

April 30, 2008 at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home